Mazzei Chianti Classico Riserva Ser Lapo 2018
- Winery: Castello di Fonterutoli
- Winery location: Chianti Classico, Toscana
- Grape varieties: 90% Sangiovese, 10% Merlot
- Alcohol: 13.50%
- Total acidity: 5.77‰
- Vineyards location: Altitude: 250 - 330 m.a.s.l.
- Soil: Clay/loam with medium texture and average presence of calcareous rocks/sandstones
- Vineyards age: 15 - 30 years
- Training system: Spur cordon-training
- Nr. of vines per hectare: 4.500 - 7.500 plants
- Harvest: Hand picked from August 29th
- Fermentation temperature: 26 - 28 °C
- Period of maceration: 15 - 18 days
- Ageing: 12 months in small french oak barrels (225/500 lt - 50% new)
- Bottling: September 2019
- Available on the market: February 2020
- Production: 175000 bottles
- Formats: 750 ml - 1,5 lt
- First vintage: 1983
- Ageing potential: Over 10 years
- Key descriptors: Fresh, tannic, with aroma of berries, strong structure, earthy and intense taste
- Food pairing: Pasta with game sauce, stews, grilled red meats, mid-aged cheeses
About Mazzei Chianti Classico Riserva Ser Lapo 2017
The 2017 harvest was unparalleled thanks to climatic events which followed one another in an unusual and extraordinary way.
After a frost on 20 April, in spring and summer there was little rainfall and summer temperatures reached high peaks, thus leading to water stress, with a reduced swelling of the grapes and a clear drop in the weight of the bunches in general.
The harvest began well in advance on the earliest vines. As regards Sangiovese, we courageously decided to wait for the September rains, when about 130 mm rain fell in 20 days together with a considerable lowering of the temperature (with minimum values dropping to 5 ° C), which gave a twist to the remaining grapes on the grapevines.
Therefore, the grapes had a heterogeneous quality, with peaks of excellence, a global level well beyond the expectations. 2017 is one of the classic vintages where the achievement of important results requires much experience and a careful management of each vineyard through the adoption of a customised approach to each parcel.
Beginning of the harvest: 21 August
End of the harvest: 28 September
Rainfalls (sum of rainfall between April 1st and September 30th): 257,6 mm
Temperature Index (sum of average daily temperatures from April 1st to September 30th): 3638,45 °C