Kollwentz Steinzeiler 2015
Steinzeiler has embodied the top offering of the Kollwentz Winery for 40 years. Originally named after an old site, which today only exists in fragments, the former single-vineyard varietal wine has evolved into an international red wine of exception.
From the premium plots of the Kollwentz Blaufränkisch vineyards, Point and Setz, the best fruit from old, deeply rooted vines is selected for this blend. These vines give only small yields of outstanding quality.
Besides Blaufränkisch, which, at 80%, accounts for the lion’s share, this blend features small portions of Cabernet Sauvignon and Zweigelt.
Steinzeiler derives its name from the rocky, calcareous soils on the southerly slopes of the Leithagebirge. Here, vines have been grown for 2800 years. Steinzeiler – a blend of predominantely Blaufränkisch (80%), Cabernet Sauvignon and Zweigelt – is a powerful red made from carefully tended old vines and displaying a lot of elegance and charm. It marries perfectly with game, dark meat and cheese. Younger vintages should be opened or decanted a few hours before drinking.
CELLAR MASTER FACTS
- selective manual hand harvest
- Varieties: about 80 % Blaufränkisch, with Cabernet Sauvignon and Zweigelt
- ripening for 30 months in small barrels of french oak
- bottling without filtration, without fining
- Alcohol: 14 % by vol, dry
- Blaufränkisch from the heart pieces of the vineyards Point and Setz. Small parts of Zweigelt & Cabernet Sauvignon.
- soil: limestone with loam and stones
- south and southeast facing slopes at the Leithagebirge, elevation: 180 to 200 m
- dry farming - no irrigation
- yield: 40 hl/ha
Tasting note: Dark purple with a black core; a noble, intoxicating bouquet; ripe berry aromas; mild roasting fragrance, reminiscent of freshly baked dark bread; dark fruits and an overhanging sweetness; a lot of ripe tannin; has depth and a perfect finishing touch, completely balanced; subtle combination of vigour and elegance.