San Felice Il Grigio Chianti Classico Riserva 2016
- VINTAGE FEATURES 2016 will be remembered as one of the warmest in recent years; to a mild winter and a spring with regular rainfall, succeeded a hot summer with rare precipitations. Good weather conditions allowed a good quantity and excellent quality production , with perfect phenolic maturation in all vineyards, guaranteeing wines suitable for long aging.
- VINEYARD LOCATION San Felice (Castelnuovo Berardenga, Siena)
- SOIL PROFILE Medium-textured, predominantly calcareous marl breakdown of Alberese and Galestro limestones, with abundant gravel-pebble mixture.
- TRAINING SYSTEM Spur-pruned cordon
- GRAPES Sangiovese 100%
- HARVEST 3rd week of September / 1st week of October
- VINIFICATION AND MATURATION Fermentation on the skins at 28-30 ° C for 18-20 days followed by malolactic fermentation in steel. 80% of the wine then matures for 24 months in 60- or 90- hl in Slavonian oak casks, and 20% in 225-litre French barriques, followed by a further 6 months or so in the bottle.
- BOTTLES PRODUCED 260.000
- SERVING TEMPERATURE 18° C
- ALCOHOL13,5 % Vol
- CELLARING 10 years
- TOTAL ACIDITY 5,6 g/l
- RESIDUAL SUGARinf. 0,5 g/l
About San Felice Il Grigio Chianti Classico Riserva
Few red wines can match Chianti Classico at its best for seemingly effortless class and refinement, and in that sense this subtle, softly stated Riserva doesn't disappoint. It's dark but not opaque in color, with a fine weave of aroma which combines elegant redcurrant and pomegranate fruits with scents of leather and polished antique wood. It's a lively, lithe midweight, vivid with curranty acidity and lent gastronomic textures by its brisk, ample yet well-rounded tannins. Two years in oak lend a further aromatic grain without any obvious sweetening or toastiness. If you like this wine on glass one, you'll love it by glass three: few of our top twenty choices are more drinkable.